Old 06-07-20, 07:47 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
I know you know this but those shoes are doing you zero favors, you may be better off in street shoes - the shoes you're in are not designed to interface with the RF Chesters you bought (which are, BTW, on my short list for my next pedal in Magenta!)
Originally Posted by Ryder1
Yeah, I was surprised hearing of someone riding flat pedals with SPD shoes. Yikes. Asking how to handle drops with that combo is like asking how to get to Vegas on a skateboard (sorry, first analogy that came to mind). Correct answer: get ride of skateboard and replace with a motor vehicle designed for highway travel. Then address your situation.
Actually... I figured these would be the best due to their tread and stiff sole. It's not like I'm out there trying to do singletrack on Chesters with a Look cleat hanging out, lol. The SPD cleat is entirely recessed and isn't touching the Chesters, but the pegs are gripping the tread so I am able to pull back on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke when I want. My tennis shoes at this point have almost no tread left and a very soft sole. I've got a pair of lightweight boots that have decent tread and sole stiffness.

I guess since I have never held a set, how are the 510's? I thought they were a rigid sole for pedaling? I've gotta hunt a bit more for a shop that stocks them, or has them in stock that is...