Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
This is definitely weird. I agree with Rubiksoval that an IF of 1.01 for 3 hours is, pretty much by definition, incorrect.

However, given what you describe about your anaerobic power, the 2x8' all-out efforts should actually overstate your FTP a bit as you will be helped in each interval by your anaerobic engine. That would, in effect, actually make the corrected IF of your rides even higher.

The only thing i can think of is that the FTP test is somehow flawed - how or why, i cant say. Were you holding more or less constant watts throughout the effort or did your wattage drop over the course of the 8'? Alternatively, could you be spinning too much (which elevates your HR more, but may not always the optimal power output)?
Thank you for you input. Actually I pushed it harder near the end when I could see I had a little left and wasn't going to blow up - always an issue with these short tests. Blowing up at 8' = perfect, but hard to do exactly, blow up early and the test is ruined.. I can hold constant watts on my rollers, but not on the road. Watts varied from low 200s down to maybe 165. I kept it as steady as I could. It was windy.