View Single Post
Old 07-07-20, 01:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by joebiker1
Hi everyone -
I have a recently purchased Surly Midnight Special (~25 lbs) in the 1x configuration (40t chainring, 11-42t 11-speed cassette), 650b wheels with WTB Horizon tires (47mm). I purchased the bike to have the versatility to ride mixed terrain and thought the gearing was fine for my needs even on pavement, but I am finding myself more and more on the roads/paved bike paths and more addicted to speed! I am a 44 year old longtime runner, so started in good shape about 6 weeks ago and have gotten up to solo near 30 mile rides at avg speed of 17 mph with flat pedals and running shoes. I find I can cruise around 20 mph for some good stretches (mostly flat since I live in FL), but would like to get to a comfortable cruising speed of 22-24 mph for 30-40 mile rides. I do have clipless pedals and shoes on order, but am wondering how much my current bike/configuration is affecting my speed vs just my own ability. Would I see any appreciable speed increase from the following changes?

1. Change gearing to have a 50t up front (max the frame can handle) and 11-30 or so in the back
2. Change wheels and tires to 700c x 28mm
3. Both of the above
4. Purchase a more dedicated, lighter (17-19 lb) road bike with gearing and wheels/tires per 1 and 2 above (though I would do a semi-compact in front). By my estimate, this would cost at least ~$700 more than 1 and 2 above combined for something like an aluminum or basic carbon w/ 105 and rim brakes such as a CAAD13 or Orbea Orca M30. Of course, I could also spend a bit more for something nicer and am in the fortunate position of being able to do so if I feel it would be useful. This would give me 2 bikes, which would be a luxury, but I'd hate to see each bike only get used part time, I feel like it would be somewhat wasteful.

Wondering what you experienced folks think. I love the Surly, and maybe I will get to my goals with it as is, but I feel like the wheels/tires/gearing might be holding me back either now, or soon as I continue to get stronger. Thanks!
Get the second bike. Trust me, they don't care how much you ride them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: