Old 08-12-19, 02:20 PM
rebecca 1965

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey_Lady333
Hi there!

So I'm fairly new to this 'bike' thing at 38 years young. Never could buy one as a kid, and I've spent most of adult life bed ridden. Long story lol. After a lot of work, I've left the bed behind, but I still can't drive. So I've been learning about bikes. I've been building my strength on an exercise bike for the last year now, and I'm ready to take the next step and buy a bike. And I'm terrified lol.

I've been looking bikes from Walmart, as my brother gave me a 200$ gift card to there for buying a bike as a birthday present. I CAN spend more than that, but budget is a factor. I'd link to them, but I apparently can't do that yet, as the form was kind enough to tell me lol.

So the the bikes I'm looking at are three wheeled and have a basket (Which is why I wasn't sure WHICH forum to post in) and fits the budget, but I worry about height and weight. I'm 6'3" (or 75 inches, roughly) and currently 260 pounds, even if I am losing weight. Which puts me right at the edge for height (26 inch wheels) and weight (264) for most every bike I've looked at it. Walmart has a listing for similar bikes in every color, with different makers (Schwinn, Bestequip, costway, and more) with little variance in the wheel/weight department. Yet the price varies wildly in the 200-400$ range.

I WANT to like these bikes. I want to believe I can find a bike like this in my price range, and everything will work out as I hope. Yet logically I know I'm pushing my luck with the height and weight. I'd like to ask those here with more experience than I for a more objective viewpoint. Am I right to be worried, or am I worrying over nothing? Any advice you folks could give would be a huge help.

Thank you for your time.
Hi! Congratulations! Getting out of that bed must feel amazing! I am 53 and just starting to ride again myself. I have a MASSIVE Hernia, I was afraid as well. I started out trying regular bikes in cruiser styles. No luck my belly got in the way as well as I could not balance myself. I now have a Vintage BEEKAY 3 wheeler . I am able to use this bike, thanks, God! I am new on here so I can not post a picture. You need to try a bike before buying it. I have found if you search, small towns, People are practically giving these bikes away. I would try that first. Your hight should not be a problem but make sure you can raise the handlebars if needed, as well as the seat.