Old 01-04-18, 06:42 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh
I simply love using 1x. Shifting at the front is not a big task but it's so nice when you get rid of it. With SRAM I do all my shifting with one lever too. That's it for me really.
I can see the appeal of this argument, but honestly I have a mental block about it. I feel like my bike is somehow awkwardly asymmetric if I don't have a shifter on both levers. I know this is entirely ridiculous, but it's the way I feel. Even in situations where I know I'm not going to need two chainrings, such as most cyclocross races, I like having multiple chainrings.

I've tried a 1x10 setup a couple of times. I used it for CX racing for a season and had a couple of problems with chain drops (the technology has gotten a lot better since then). I also tried it on a commuter bike and didn't like it. I had a range that worked for my commute, but it required a few cogs that I hardly ever used at the low end, and a bit of spinning at the high end. The high end bothered me most, because even though my top speed didn't matter at all (even to me) I just didn't like the feeling of approaching the limit where I couldn't go much faster even if I wanted to.