View Single Post
Old 11-26-18, 11:43 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Cargo trike build

Me and some friends ran across a baskart one day going to a church to get food. I figure since the thing has yet to be stolen, I can use it with one of my crap frames to build a cargo trike. Shouldn't be too difficult to do. My plan is the use a fork and figure out how to weld it directly to the baskart in a way that it's solid but still be able to seperate the two halves if need be. Also some way to connect the two where the bikes handle bars would be originally, so there's no risk of buckling. So this would be; the forks dropouts welded to the lower crossbar of the baskart, somehow welding the middle of the forks to the baskart frame, and then somehow connecting where the bikes handlebars would be, to the baskarts handlebar(which would probably need be a bolt-on affair) as a third connection. I'm also trying to figure out how to add a steering stabilizer to help prevent jackknifing.

The other thing is using bike forks mounted to the baskart for front wheels in some fashion, so there will brakes on what will probably be a 90lb unladden trike. I'm on the fence about using 20" or 26" wheels. The bike frame going to be used in question will be a Roadmaster Granite Peak. Then I can figure out how to give it some sweet lighting and maybe a stereo. I'm thinking about using a triple tree style fork and getting some pipe that'll fit in it. It'd be cool to give it front suspension, too. Like maybe a set of elastometers like used on some car trailers or vw style swing arm set up.