View Single Post
Old 01-08-19, 05:45 AM
airgreek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Well, I applied to the State of California car retirement program to retire my 2002 Honda Civic. It takes about 4-6 weeks to see if I qualify, but if so, they dismantle the car for parts and I get $1500.The goal is to get older cars off the road, as they likely pollute more. Probably more than the car is worth now. Been a great car, 135,000 miles and still has the ORIGINAL brakes and clutch. But I only drove 400 miles last year, so it's time. That $1500 plus the savings on car insurance will cover the cost of any car share if I need it, although I am hoping to use my bike/trailer exclusively (especially once i get my friction drive set up). It's kind of scary letting it go - thinking what if I am making a mistake - I certainly won't be able to buy even an old used car for that $1500 privately. Leap of faith. I guess I could always get a motor scooter. Hoping it all works out, I've done as close to a "test pedal" as I can by using it so little. It's felt like an albatross hanging over me this last year, what with having to remember to move it on street sweeping days and run it up so the battery didn't die.
Anyone have any regrets or encounter any situations right after they went car-free where they wished they hadn't done it? Just trying to be fully prepared.
I envy people who simplify their lives