Old 04-28-19, 07:31 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by McMitchell

‘The woman walking the dog tried to blame the incident on me which surprised me. She took the position that they could not hear me coming. She thought I should “ring a bell, sound a horn” constantly while riding. I think the law states that any dog less than 6’ from the owner is “out of control”
Well, did you give some warning? Bell? Voice? If you didn't, I'd agree with her.
I will always ring my bell when approaching dog walkers. Especially when approaching from behind, I will give advance warning as far away as I can.

Most laws, where there are any at all just specify "in control". I have a few I regularly encounter who are off leash, but the owner has such control as to direct it to sit from 20 yards away and the dog does. These well controlled dogs seem to mostly be hunting dogs.

But yes, I don't care for the retractable leashes the allow the line to span the trail as a tripwire.