Old 08-29-19, 12:48 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
"True" vintage Cinellis, i.e. before Columbus got them are really, really hard to get, and can get as expensive as used bikes can get. I remember stories that they were impossible to order from during lead-ups to the Olympics, because all the track athletes would jam them with orders for their track frames, which were reputed to be the best in those days.

Current Cinellis are owned by Columbus, i.e. the bike tubing guys. They seem like perfectly fine bikes, and they certainly aren't one of those brands that some giant conglomerate bought to slap on generic frames (vis: bikesdirect brands), but they just aren't quite as exciting as they were when they were actually owned by the Cinelli family.

I've personally seen a few new Cinelli Vigorelli road bikes and a couple track/SS bikes here (Seattle)

that said, they do make some attractive bikes at good price points. that on-sale $399 touring bike frame on their US site is looking a bit tempting...
You can get that bike complete for $899. Properly geared for touring, and with Tubus racks even.

Likes For riverdrifter: