Old 09-04-19, 09:28 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
If you look at it by people who wouldn't normally commute or wouldn't normally do as many errands on a manual bike, then yes. I could see an e-bike having a person do more work than a manual bike person.

Recreational riding? It's debatable depending on the scenario. If you refuse to go ride because you can't keep up with a spouse or friend, that's on you. I'm sure you could find a more suitable group or ride your own route alone.

I feel like the math works out to favor it if you're in a situation of all or nothing. If you'd ride a manual bike anyway, it won't work out. If you'd take a pass on the manual bike altogether, then obviously it works out.

What I see more of around here is folks treating it like a moped on the greenway. Not die hard commuters taking on a longer bike commute due to their new e-bike.

I see a lot more "moped" usage than I see commuter usage, and I live in an area you'd expect to see more commuter usage of e-bikes given the hills in town.

Shoot, I see kids these days walking their dogs while riding one of those electric balance board things. So damn lazy.