View Single Post
Old 09-09-19, 05:03 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 406 Posts
You can do it too. Several years ago I decided that there was no reason that a 60yr old man could not learn to track stand. YouTube videos were not useful. Text advice was not useful. I just had to go try. And, like the OP, winter was on the way.

So I started indoor cycling. I fabricated a small ramp, about 5 deg slope with a smooth leading edge. That provide the "uphill slope" my geared mtn bike needed. As we ride in the right lane here in the USA, and the road crown is to the left, I needed to learn to track stand with the wheel turned to the left. Trouble was I always stopped with my right foot forward. NFG. So I also had to retrain my body to stop with my left foot forward, into that left turned front wheel. Not easy either. I decided I also need a grab point to grab when I started to fall over. I have a good vice in my shop so clamped a 2x4 in that vice and set up right next to that.

I set the bike next to that 2x4 with the front wheel turned about 45 deg to the left against the ramp, left foot forward, pedals level. Then tried to ease forward on the ramp and track stand. Failure. Over and over and over. Failure. But I did not crash out, just grabbed the 2x4, took a breath and started again. Middle ring and mid gear on the back. Over and over and over, day after day after day. Maybe 10 to 15 minutes a day. Not too much. Let the body learn. One I balanced in place for one second. Wow. Later it was 2 seconds. Hey! A few days later it was 5 seconds. Gee. As the winter rolled on and snow came and went I got better and better. 30 seconds one time. Good days and bad days.

By by spring I was pretty good at it, inside and outside. Mtn bike and my other bikes. Now I can pretty much stand anything. I work part time at an LBS and every bike I service is test ridden and I track stand every one. All sorts of bikes. Kinda fun.

In in real life I rarely track stand but learning how has VASTLY improved my slow speed balance which is often helpful. I do enjoy track standing on rail trails - when I get to a cross road and a car has stopped right on the pedestrian cross walk, I roll out and track stand right at the drivers door. Makes them pretty nervous!