Old 08-21-19, 11:21 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
New Member here, checking in saying hello....

Hey guys, I just typed out a big long intro and somehow it got lost. It might be because I tried posting pics but not sure.

I'm 47 and have been battling Lyme Disease for about 10 years. Which one of the big things was extreme fatigue. But this year started feeling a bit better so I started riding a bike again. How relaxing and such a blessing it's been! And I'm sure good for getting some exercise and fresh air.

At the beginning of the year my 6 year old daughter came to me and said she was interested in mechanical stuff and engines and how they work. Well then we started working on projects together. Tuning up our John Deere, which she was a big help. And I worked on a few other projects with engines and got them running well (power washer and another lawn mower for a friend) but we had a bicycle that had been sitting for several year. Maybe 7-8 years and we started cleaning it up together so she could ride it. And then I started to ride it to. First time I was on it I went to the end of the driveway and about 100' down the road and turned back. LOL. But it was something and then I just kept going a little more every day. Our rides are up to 2 miles now and the whole family is involved.

The original bike was one my wife bought for herself (Schwinn Del Mar) but me and my daughter absconded with it so my wife wanted to start riding too and we found a Schwinn Sanctuary on Craigs list for a good deal. Only few years old and didn't really need anything.

Then my neighbors were moving and put out a Murray Actra mountain bike for free and we cleaned that up and I only had to put new inner tubes on it. All the rest of the mechanicals were in good order other than super rusty rims. And maybe a bit wobbly but good enough. My daughter claimed that as hers. That bike is kind of neat because it was actually made in the USA, which is not easy to come by any longer. Lawrenceburg, TN.

Then I bought a Schwinn Hurricane 90's mountain bike for 15 dollars that was listed on Facebook marketplace. That one was also very dirty but in OK mechanical order. I did have to buy 1 inner tube and 2 tires for it.

We have 2 kids so we ALL went for a bike ride for the first time I think ever. We used to go for walks when the kids were real little but I don't think we ever rode all together. I don't think we ever had 4 bikes at one time. LOL.

So it's grown into a family affair.

I still need to learn how to true a rim. The Del Mar's rear rim seemed to get worse as we rode it this summer. Maybe the spokes started to settle in but the rear rim needs help. It still rides fine but I can feel it now as your ride and want to remedy it. But truing a wheel is not what I'd call easy. I tried truing it some in the beginning of the year to really make it straight but I don't think I did any good. Any tips on that would be really nice. I am going to watch a "park tool" youtube video today to see if I can learn more. I've watched a few videos but it's still kind of confusing as to which way your supposed to turn the spokes to get the desired effect. I also have to get one of the spoke tools.

So... I'm going to try to post pics to go along with my post here but I'm not sure if that works if your new......

Thank you for listening and have a great day!!!!
Likes For 3S1M: