Old 07-31-17, 11:05 AM
fork crown

Bikes: SURLY LHT, 1984 Pinarello (Vintage Campy Nuovo Record), Jamis XAM-1 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello all,
Finally have gotten around to posting about my trip. I thank everyone that contributed advice. Had a great time on my solo across New York State via the Canal Trailway. DCwom was right being a few days behind I had fresh street markings which were invaluable in the city areas - The P&T book are not detailed enough around the cities IMO. Below are email I sent to friend and family along the way. Hope you enjoy (Read from the bottom up).

Sixthand final day!!! Up at Fultonville an hour early. Stormsmoving west to east over the area and I wanted to get more of a jump on them. However that jump was negated by the worlds slowest waitress inAmsterdam. The ride was majority of roads today peppered with thoserolling country hills that I hate so much. Usually the tow path is veryflat but many paths are not "connected" so roads are used. Gotlost multiple times due to the lack of detailed map in the city areas. But found good people and good directions most of the time. Madereal good time in the morning but coming up on the last 10-15 miles it turnedbrutal. Strong headwinds and the hottest part of the day took its toll onme. Had to seek shade and water much more than any other day. National grid crew brought me back to life by giving me cold water, Coldtowel and bag of ice to cool me down. Made it to the end of the path indowntown Albany! Estimate of close to 400 but I have to confirm bylooking at a map( bike computer crapped out a few times). So ends theanother tour. I'm thinking after time off months, years I will rideagain! And one last treat for the ride...Bruce and a co-worker (afellow MFD member) were here in the hotel on business. We had a drinktogether in the bar. What a coincidence!. To milk this further tomorrowI'll have my last installment with some random and general thoughts - I know youcan't wait! Goodnight , I'm exhausted.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2017, at 8:26 PM, Joe C wrote:

Fifthday. Left Oriskany with the sun shining a first. Passedthrough Utica partially on the path and then on streets. The rest of the ride was mostly tow path and a lot of it paved. Planned tostop in Canajoharie for the day (like anyone knows where that is), but went tonext town for extra 10 miles. Tomorrow will be the last 60 to Albany. And yes rain is in the forecast.
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 15, 2017, at 10:22 PM, Joe C wrote:

Fourthday. Up at the Camillus FD and thanked the chief and captain forthe hospitality. Within 15 minutes I was caught in rain once again. Sheltered for a while until it passed. Went through Syracuse via a streetpath. Picked up a paved path for a while which turned to a wet puddleladen, muddy mess. Riding was terrible. Every time I hit a puddletire sink in and speed deceases dramatically, not to mention almost crashingfrom losing traction. This happened every 20 to 30 yards. I finally had the abandon the path at first chance to make any progress to Oneida. After Oneida the tow path was much better but it rained again. Lock21 took a break and spoke to the operator a bit. Made good progress from therewith a tailwind into Rome ( NY not Italy if you've been following) so I decidedto go a little further to Oriskany which is where I am now. Did I mentionit rained again today ??? I love watching the rain fall sideways. I lovethe sound as it hits my rain jacket, I love how that one drop gets in and rollsdown my back - sorry I digress... mileage today 65 with somedetours and creative reroutes in spots. Going to bed.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 14, 2017, at 9:03 PM, Joe C wrote:

Third day. Whoever said it's the journey not the destination never took a wrong turnon a bicycle. Pulled up the intersection country roads and said"this doesn't look right?". It wasn't. Not too bad atleast it was in the same direction as I needed to go. I saw this bigyellow thing in the sky for the first time - I think it's called the sun? Nice day of riding 70 miles from Fairport to Camillus. Today was amix of tie path, paved trails and streets. A good mix. Felt good ridingtoday. Rain you ask? Of course it rained but I was stopped eating lunchindoors when the sky's opened up again (there is no such thing as light rain uphere). It stopped as fast as it came, then back on the road. The localfire department is letting me stay in their house tonight, showered, did mywash, ate and have a bed to sleep in. All for being a fellow volunteer. What a score! Will continue tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 13, 2017, at 9:07 PM, Joe C wrote:

Secondday. Woke to reports of heavy storms moving across the region. Scrambled fast to get mileage in before the rain started in Albion. Made it to Brockport and the skys opened up (if it sounds like a repeatof yesterday..it was). Sat 1.5 hours waiting for it to blow over itdidn't... so back out in the rain.

Stay to the road rather than the tow path so as to not getmuddy. Decent riding and then even better with a paved bike pathbeginning in Rochester to Fairport , where I am now. Hoping for some suntomorrow! 54 miles today. Path detour, some north and south runs, toomuch down time. Pedaling faster tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 12, 2017, at 8:29 PM, Joe C wrote:

Ok 1stday of riding down! Buffalo to a town called Albion. Lunchin Lockport where I got to see the locks in action lifting a boat - very cool. Rid e out of buffalo sucked. Down poured so bad cars were pulling overbecause of poor visibility. I waited it out in a beverage distributor'sloading bay. Buffalo has a paved path from the beginning of the canal andruns about 25 miles. After Lockport the towpath was a base of stone dust. Actually not that bad to ride on but it lived up to the dust part. Everything gets a coat of dust , including me. So 74 miles todayshooting for 60 tomorrow hope the legs are up for it!

Sent from my iPhone