View Single Post
Old 11-26-18, 10:51 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
does this mean you'll no longer do ITTs?

who is the "you" to which you refer? promoters or cycling population in general?
and how exactly do you propose that the racing needs of everyone be met, and more to the point, who picks up the tabs so that the racing needs of every racer be met?
The cycling population in general. It’s not something that costs money. It’s imbuing the sport with a culture that racing is fun, not serious business worth doping over. That the “haves” in any endeavor have an obligation to the “have nots” if you want your interest to remain viable. It’s cycling belonging to local clubs comprised of individuals who think part of their obligation to the sport is to introduce new people to it, to mentor people through the process, and to participate at a level beyond racing- volunteering at races, leading non-hammerfest group rides, partnering with local communities. It’s developing a sense that anyone who wants to race is important to the sport, not just men who race crits. And then acting like it- not having different masters age brackets for women than men at a track competition, for example, when doing so make zero difference to the administration of the event or the bottom line dollars and cents.

I have been trained professionally at the highest level in my field. Part of that training is being told you are a “have”. Your obligation is to provide opportunity for the have nots. Probably 75% of people with my training lecture gratis locally about once a year. Fewer of us take on major time commitments. I’ve personally spent 5 years on a committee that organized and administered our certifying exam, and 4 years on a committee to develop an international course in neuroscience (which we took from zero resources to the biggest source of income for our college and now funds research projects for people in training programs). You are always going to have people who will volunteer and complete their tasks well, if they are given the structure and opportunity and you expect it culturally. And I certainly have taken on big endeavors that were thankless tasks, the thankless aspect comes with the territory.

Mostly in bike racing though, my experience is if I suggest something and I’m told: 1. Stop complaining, 2. You don’t understand how it works, 3. <Or I am literally talked over as if I am not speaking at all>. I’m told as a “have not” in the sport to fix whatever problems I see myself, if I think things should be done differently. I don’t get a sense of being part of the sport- “great points, *we* should see if we can incorporate them into racing” but “you have no idea what it’s like to be a promoter and if you have such great ideas why don’t *you* promote a race”. Not universally, actually- at our local non-USAC TT, I made a suggestion to the promoter in regards to the organization of the new race series, which were initially rejected but upon reflection were later incorporated and I was publically given credit for the change I suggested.

Am I still racing TTs? Yep, for the time being. I’m drawn pretty strongly to mountain biking these days which has way less cultural frustration for me. But the main races I do- Piru and Fiesta Island TTs are run by awesome racing people who really do have such a great vibe, I enjoy those scenes a lot. I didn’t re-up with my race team because they made USAC membership mandatory this year and I’m not sure there will be a USAC-sanctioned TT on our LA schedule this year. I did stay a member of the (race-oriented) club and convinced my employer to sponsor the club (again, last year it was the team), to the tune of $1000. But I literally do nothing with the club (because even the easy club social century turns into a hammerfest on the way back home, you learn there is never an fun social easy ride, ever, no matter how the event is advertised). The club/team organizer, who I am friends with and who is a good guy, has mentioned he wants to organize 3 flat club TTs this year. If he does, I’ll probably stay with the club. Otherwise, I’ll talk my boss into sponsoring the local women’s mtb group in 2020 instead. Not sure if that will draw me away from time trialing or not.