Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
$1300 for a hub?

not compatible with my other bikes, spares made of unobtainium, would have to buy a new frame with thru-axels..

for the price of just one hub i can buy two complete touring rigs.
...or one rig and a complete set of gear.
Can actually work with standard dropouts. That’s part of the appeal: one hub can be swapped between different wheelsets or different bikes with different widths. Now if you’ve never been tempted by a Rohloff, then this probably doesn’t interest you. But for me the problem with Rohloff is that not only is it over 1k, but I have 2 wheelsets for my bike, so if I want to keep that functionality, I need two, or more if I ever wanted to use it in another bike. Unless I wanted to keep rebuilding my wheels. This hub can go in your standard touring bike and then be swapped into your wide-dropout, fat bike, and then be dropped into your folding bike if that’s what you’re riding next.

And, yes, it’s still a non-user-serviceable part, so not everyone is going to comfortable with that. I’m not comfortable with it largely because it’s new and untested. If it ever gets out into the world and is shown to as reliable as the Rohloff has been, I think it’d worth a closer look.