Old 04-18-18, 11:27 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by IrishYorf07
Since I posted it on the Trek DS thread, I'll put it here as well. I test road a DS 2 and 3 yesterday and then a Roam 2. Very similar ride and you get better components for the money with Giant. Seems to be why a lot of you opted for the Roam over the DS. I will say my posture felt a little more comfortable on the DS but not a huge difference, I'm kind of in between a Medium and Large in Roams sizing, so that might be why. I'd love to test a Cannondale CX but our shop doesn't have any in stock.

Anyhow... those of you that aren't newbies like me... there's clearly more bang for your buck with the Giant... so why spend hundreds more on the Trek? Is it really just about name and cosmetics or are there other factors to steer one towards spending more and getting the Trek?
I just bought a Roam 2 (today), and I'm in the same boat as you on the sizing. I could have gone either way between medium and large. I typically prefer the largest frame size that I can stand over. I can stand over the large, flatfooted, and still lift the bike a good 2" before hitting bone, so that's good enough for me. It *feels* closer than it really is, because the *ahem* soft tissues will touch before bone will. But nearly all guidance regarding stand over is baselined on the pubic bones.

The other metric is reach. You feel this most in how far you have to lean forward, although reach is technically how far forward the head tube is from the vertical centerline of the crank spindle (not the distance from the saddle to the bar). If you can stand over a large, but feel that the handlebar is too far out there, you can adjust this with a replacement stem. You can get a shorter (and or taller) stem, or you can get an adjustable stem that will allow you to fine tune it yourself.

Fit is very much personal preference (your Giant dealer was right, even if he was a little flip about it). Some people like the feel of a smaller bike that they "sit on". Some people like the feel of a larger bike that they "sit in".

I think the Roam 2 is a great value. I'll take some pics and share my thoughts on it later today, especially comparing to the other new Giant that I recently bought (and returned).