Old 02-17-19, 10:06 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’ve ridden all of Skyline Drive and the BRP. My brother and I rode it end to end in 7 days a few years ago. It might help to know that there isn’t anything steep on any of the 500-600 mile route.

We rode all of Skyline Drive on day 1. There is a LOT of climbing on that stretch. We did 115 miles with 11,000’ of climbing. Skyline really doesn’t get to the elevations with the great views but there were a lot of hills. Based on that and what you have in mind if it were me I’d choose other sections. Here are some suggestions:

Peaks of Otter is one of my favorite spots along the BRP. Its in VA and not too far from Roanoke by car. I’d suggest spending a night or two there and doing some rides from there. The longest climb on the BRP at 13 miles is north of there. South is more rolling. They have a nice restaurant and some fun hiking trails. You need reservations.

Pisgah Inn is another option. Asheville is not too far from there. You could spend a night or two there and ride the BRP south for some good hills. If you go north you’d descend a long hill and have to reclimb it.

For great scenery in my opinion the area around Waterrock Knob near the southern end is hard to beat. You could stay in Maggie Valley or Cherokee and drive to an overlook and do some out and backs.

The BRP around Asheville is too busy and not scenic. But Asheville would be a great place to visit. Lots to do downtown plus the Biltmore House.

There is a neat town off the BRP in VA called Floyd. You could stay in Hotel Floyd and do some riding from there, maybe to Maybry Mill. Not great views but nice riding.

I’ve climbed to Mitchell from both directions and it’s a lot of climbing. It’s very doable but you need to allow plenty of time.

If you get closer to planning and need more details just let me know.