View Single Post
Old 02-19-19, 07:25 AM
Matt Gaunt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I am not clear on your math, 0.1mm in what distance, are you using the Campagnolo idea to replace at 132.6mm? On 11 speeds I change at 0.5% elongation as the cassettes are not cheap. I know guys that claim to get around 8,000 miles but even when I was over lubing I guess there is too much sand/grit around here to get that much.
This is good advice.

I also replace 11 speed chains at 0.5% (this is Shimano's recommendation FWIW) but 10 speed (and fewer) at 0.75%. I usually end up getting roughly 3000 miles out of a chain and I clean and re-lube regularly - there's no way I'd ever get close to 8000.

Other than effective elongation due to bushing wear, the other factor to consider is that the chain will become slacker (i.e. it will bend side-to-side more easily) over time, which can cause degradation in shifting performance. It's unlikely you'd get such pronounced side-to-side wear without corresponding effective elongation but it's worth keeping an eye on for the OP if he's getting that mega mileage out of his chains.