Old 07-24-07, 04:00 AM
Doug5150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Random Thoughts.....

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
So I've been thinking about how to make the ultimate machine for shifting stuff. ...
Overall I prefer the bakfiets-style (the long-johns).

....The problem with the delivery bike pictured is that the cargo floor (inside the basket) isn't as low as it could be, and if you need to carry anything heavy, it's best to carry it as low as you can get it.

....The Xtracycles don't impress me much because while it definitely does add cargo capacity, it's very odd-shaped capacity. The long-johns with their big open boxes on the front would seem to be far more convenient for just tossing stuff in. I want a bike with baskets that I can just toss stuff in and go! Having to strap stuff on is a pain. If you use a bike to carry a lot, you're going to be strapping and unstrapping things to and from it hundreds of times, perhaps thousands of times. Consider for one short moment, how much of your time those straps are going to take up, and you realize why it's best to have a big deep basket you can just toss things in and ride away.

....Also I prefer front-mounted baskets, because you can watch what you're carrying, while you're riding. If something comes loose or falls out, there's a decent chance you may see it happen. Not so with a rear-basket bike!

-----

About the only changes I'd make to a bakfiets is I'd want a wire-mesh basket instead of a wood box; the wire mesh is more durable and less wind resistance. And I'd want the rear of the frame leaned back like a RANS Fusion, with the same style seat.
~