View Single Post
Old 10-14-19, 01:19 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Lots of choices out there for hub motor folding ebikes in the $1000 to $1500 range - Chinese electrical components, 7 speed, racks, lights, etc.

The one below weighs 48# and puts out about 40 Nm of torque - pretty good for a hub motor - starts at $1299 - supposedly it's stable enough to sit on like a chair when it is folded. 20 to 60 miles on a charge. Batteries are in the seat tube. https://electricbikereview.com/qualisports/dolphin/

If you need more torque then a name brand mid-mount motor set-up (Bosch, Yamaha, Brose, Shimano) starts at around $2500.

That looks great! Very similar to what I have now, sans motor. What matters is not whether you can sit on it when folded, but that it rolls easy (stays folded, wheels parallel). I like the rear motor, was worried about front motor stability as the trail/castering geometry on forks is not designed for both braking, and driving forces. 36 hole rims, nice, durable. Took me a minute of searching to determine that the battery appears to be in the fat seatpost (I didn't see your note until now). Disc brakes. Nice rear rack, appears high enough and far enough aft to allow full-size panniers, just like I have on my current folder. The front rack, I don't like those head tube mounts, the force is over too small an area, especially with an aluminum frame, will fatigue. I much prefer a front rack that braces down to the fork dropout, or V-brake bosses.

BUT... I want to have a low enough gear to crank up hills loaded if need be. My current folder does not, and it has contributed to foot problems (I figured I'd just walk the bike up steeps, cross-training, but it caused plantar fasciitis). I bought a clamp adapter to mount a front braze-on derailleur to the seat tube (and then a double or triple crank) as my oversize seat tube will not accommodate a clamp derailleur. On the design above, not a chance. WAY too big, and the rear gusset prevents a 360 degree clamp. Many Dahons with no front derailleur are coming now with a braze-on mount, just in case it is needed. Costs a buck at the factory. With a front derailleur mount, a double or triple crank with aluminum rings, a better front rack designed for panniers, and retrofitted for better pedals (those ones wear out quick), at that price, I might be sold. But for any bike over $1000, I expect a superb frame and fork warranty. Like life, or at least 20 years.

EDIT: They show a bike in red, but only sell it in black or gray. First red flag.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 10-14-19 at 08:30 PM.