canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Heat training. Go out in the hottest part of the day, every time. There's a silly thread on BF somewhere about ride early, beat the heat. Heat training is the best training you can do, even for when it's cool. But that's what one does. One has to acclimate to heat, just like acclimating to altitude. That's a good simile. Your body changes. We're very, very adaptable creatures. Drink plenty while you're out, it's not torture, just get your body to practice doing the right thing. And look up "heat shock proteins." You can also sauna 5 days/week and get a similar effect. That's the Finnish secret.
Yup. I work methodically on heat adaptation every summer, starting in May-June, when Texas usually goes from cool spring to HOLYCRAPITBURNS summer overnight. Usually takes all of June to adapt. By July I'm good for the rest of the summer and can usually handle midday rides even when the temp reaches the 100s, as long as I take it easy and pay attention to my body signals.

But I've had a respiratory virus for a week and took only a couple of morning rides. Had to bail out early on a ride Saturday morning, couldn't seem to clear my lungs. Tried again Monday morning but wimped out after 23 miles.

I was worried about losing my heat adaptation, since it's a fickle thing that needs to be refreshed regularly. So I've been soaking in a hot bathtub of Epsom salts for an hour or so, hot enough to be uncomfortable without skin damage. When I finally stand up it sure feels like the onset of heat exhaustion. But it's good for what ails me.