Old 09-30-19, 09:29 AM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
What? You going to tell me a smaller person with say narrow shoulders and shorter arms will take the same width bars as a big (like me) person? Whatev. All the ladies I mt bike with would disagree. You do you though.
What is usually happening is smaller people will be on smaller bikes, and the geometry of the smaller bike will take into account the smaller sized person. So bar width is LESS of an issue.

"Contrary to what a lot of folk will tell you, bar width is not much to do with height. We’d even say it’s not even related to your shoulder/press-up width. It’s not really even much to do with different terrains. The ‘correct’ bar width is a combination of your whole bike’s geometry and dynamic fit (bar width works significantly in relation to stem length, reach and BB height). Bar width is also dependant how you like to ride."
Read more at https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/mountain-...j5glbs4i8d1.99

So, just swapping a bar and not taking into account the rest of the geometry may not work well. Some bikes are sold with the same bar width from XS to XL. If there is a change it will be slight, like 10-20mm.