Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
Well here is Specialized's Rockhopper Expert geometry...note that from XS all the was to XXL its the same handlebar width. They are changing the geometry of the frame for the size of the rider yet not handlebar width. So they are saying doesn't matter if you are 5'1" tall or 6'6" tall the handlebar width is similar, yet other things like top tube length, wheelbase, all affect the rider reach which is calculated for that bar length. So yes changing JUST the bar length and nothing else affects the reach of the rider and fit of the bike. Thats what I meant about it changes the geometry because the geometry of the bike is designed with particular bar lengths in mind.

Now everyones body is slightly different so if someones arms are slightly longer for their height, then maybe a slightly wider bar works better for them or shorter arms for their height than a more narrow bar will work better for them.
Several points here (some are agreeing with what you are saying).:

1- You are 100% correct that changing bar width DOES change the fit of the bike.... this is why it is also recommended that you go with a shorter stem. I can easily fit the same bike with a bar anywhere from 700-780 ft I change the stem as well.

2- Specialized is not "saying" anything with that chart. That is just the bar that is spec'ed. If what they spec is "saying" anything, than what does it "say" that Specialized (and pretty much any other company) specs narrower handlebars on the women's builds? Take a look at the Stumpjumper, for example. Also, what does this chart for the Surly Wednesday "say" about the matter? Smaller sizes have narrower bars. So, why do some builds have different size bars and others have the same across all sizes? See next point....

3- Stock bar width is just a starting point. Your saddle/post has adjustments for up/down, fore/aft, and tilt. Stems can be easily swapped. Bars are no different. They can not only be easily replaced, but can also be rotated and cut down (and many come with markings to assist in this). Any bike fitter knows that bikes come stock with the company's best guess on stem and bar dimensions, and not only CAN be modified, but often SHOULD be. So companiescan either spec a bunch of different "best guess" bar sizes, or just go with the biggest and cut down as needed. Same as with the steer tube on a fork: Most complete bikes come with a very long steer tube, and you cut down as needed.

4 - Changing the fit is not a bad thing.... in fact it is often a good thing. That is why saddles, seat posts, stems and bars are designed to be so easily adjustable. Bars are like any other cockpit component in that they are made to be easily modifiable.

All I am trying to say here is that if someone has an interest in trying a wider bar, there is literally zero good reasons not to try it, as long as they know they likely need to go with a shorter stem as well. There is nothing magical about the stock bar widths on complete builds. And in reality, the vast majority of people running bars under 700mm end up loving ones over 700mm for trail riding. That is why new builds come with such wide bars.

Also, I am not trying to say that body proportions dictate the best bar width.... it is just one of many factors, the biggest being what sort of riding you are doing, and simple personal tastes.
Likes For Kapusta: