Old 11-16-20, 07:59 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
Yes, there should be washer...are you sure it is not stuck inside the freehub? I'd imagine that Giant still uses standard DT Swiss freehubs, so I don't see why it would not have/need the washer. If you are positive that it is not in there, then I'd reach out to the shop and/or Giant directly and ask them. It is possible that the shop forgot to reinstall it...I'd hope that they are not that careless, though.

If it is missing then, I'd be more worried about the ratchet possibly slipping while under load, than it being quieter.
No, I removed every parts this morning to see if there was too much grease inside. There wasn't, but I noticed that the spring sits around the bearing inside the freehub and there is nothing between the two. Given that the washer would compress the spring - therefore increasing its tension - this could explain the noise difference (stiffer spring = louder noise).

I tried the bike a few times and the ratchets do not slip at all. I would tend to say washer is not needed, but since it's a Giant hub and not a DT Swiss and I can't find any details on internet about it, I can't confirm if it's supposed to be in there or not. I would need to find the blueprints or open an identical one from another bike. Is there a member on this forum using 2021 SLR1 42mm disc wheels?

Last edited by eduskator; 11-16-20 at 08:06 PM.