View Single Post
Old 07-17-20, 11:37 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Choose a bike with wider width rims on the wheels over one that has narrower rims. In general, bikes with narrow rim wheels and higher pressure tires are going to be faster than ones with wider tires and lower pressures for the same amount of effort put into pedaling. If you are careful how you ride and avoid potholes and jumping curbs that will help avoiding damaging the rims no matter what wheels are on the bike. I once rode my Greenspeed trike off a 10" drop onto cement going about 12 mph and didn't damage the wheels but they were very strong 20" Velocity Aeroheat rims with 32 spokes. The same drop on my current trike with the same model rim but with a 700C X 23 tire would not have the same outcome.

Cycling is a great way to lose weight if you combine it with monitoring your caloric intake. I've been an active rider for years but never lost any weight, just crept up a little at a time over the years. During this epidemic I decided to lose weight and went from the upper end of being overweight for my age, height, and activity level to being at the lower end of normal weight. No special diet that would put my body chemistry out of wack but just eating less, never eating anything between meals, and riding my trike more. I lost 33 pounds (15kg) in 3 months. Keeping a calorie intake log keeps me honest when it comes to how much I eat versus what I need to maintain my current weight.
Likes For VegasTriker: