holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I see vehicular cycling as a last resort for cyclists who ride on roads. I do it--taking the lane when necessary, but I do not like it, and it is stressful. Much preferable and safer is having a separate, segregated bike lane or MUP where I don't have to deal with cars and drivers. Advocating for vehicular cycling implies that safer cycling infrastructure is not needed because we can just ride beside cars.
On the contrary, bike lanes are necessary because they prevent cars from closely overtaking the bikes on the same lane. The problem is with the mentality that bikes don't belong to the road and should be ghettoed in bike lanes : bikes will share the roads with cars because it is impossible to create a totally isolated infrastructure for bikes.
This topic is about the aspect of behaving and being treated like any other vehicle on the road.
I don't understand why the mods moved the topic from general cycling to vehicular cycling : the whole point is about getting rid of the whole stigma surrounding Vehicular Cycling.
Likes For holytrousers: