View Single Post
Old 07-18-20, 04:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Again this is not about advocating against bike lanes, it's about behaving on streets with no bike lanes or when bike lanes are obstructed.
Once again i'm asking the mods to move back this thread to general cycling or at least to advocacy and safety, this is not about advocating against bike lanes.
mcours2006 The reason why people are scared to death is because when they stick to the right, a truck will eventually kill them, if not then scare them to death because it almost killed them.
When one takes the lane, the driver will slow down and maybe (illegally) honk at you : that can scare you, but it's not gonna kill you.
That's the safe way to drive.
tkamd73 Well we don't live on two different planets and it's impossible to totally separate bikes from cars, there will always be places where they will have to coexist.

"Common sense" tells me there are times to take the lane, but on most roads with 35-40 mph traffic, which is the norm around here, it's usually a very stupid thing to do.

I do most of my riding in 2 states, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. MA does not have a FRAP rule, so vc-style riding is legal there, NH has a FRAP rule, so you can only take the lane where the right side is unsafe, to turn left, or to avoid being to the right of a right-turning lane. As far as I've observed, people in MA ride pretty much exactly like riders in NH do. No one here seems to want to get into endless conflicts with drivers who want to pass you. mm

I'm not interested in martyring myself to educate anyone, that's the antithesis of common sense.
Likes For livedarklions: