View Single Post
Old 07-26-20, 04:08 PM
spank226

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
I'm Mike, I'm in Escondido, originally from Southern Maryland. I was a racer-wannabe going back to when I was in high school. Had some local success as a junior, became pack-fill as soon as I started racing in the senior rank (stories, lies and more lies fast forwarding to...) and I've pretty much been off the bike for 20 years. I suffered an injury while I was a starving adult college student with no health insurance, and that never really got fixed or sorted out and no doctor seems to want to listen to an old has-been talk about what he thinks is wrong with his knee/hip/back and they just want to say, "Well, you can't expect to do what you used to do. You're older now and, well, that's just how it is."

Anyway, I've hit a milestone birthday and am trying to get some activity back in my life to set a better example and so I'm not an invalid during my child's teenage years. I started with jogging and aggressive stretching and then was able to hop on a bike for a few rides a week near my house for 30-45 minutes and one 60-90min ride on a weekend. But I overdid it on one of those weekend rides and have had a setback. So now I'm just jogging and stretching again and yearning to hop back on a bike and pedal a bit.

I'm a little lost in the sea of what's changed from when I was last logging the miles. Fatter tires are faster, sloping top tubes on road bikes with tent-pole like seat posts are also the norm. Probably the hardest for me to come to grips with is that Mid-Calf SOCKS are now FASTER?!!!

My new long-term goal is to be able to do some group rides (When it is safe to do so) and perhaps work my way up to one of these organized "Eroica" rides I'm starting to catch wind of. I need to keep at bay any thoughts of ever being able to be competitive again, but I would like to have some achievable goals.

If anyone has a strong recommendation for an orthopedist and/or chiropractor and/or physical therapist (individuals or group), who's willing to listen and who doesn't automatically respond to "It hurts when I do this" with "Well, you need to stop doing that", I'd love to receive a private message from you!

(tried to post a pic, but I'm still too new here so had to delete it)

Last edited by spank226; 07-26-20 at 04:09 PM. Reason: edit text
Likes For spank226: