View Single Post
Old 10-31-23, 02:20 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,885 Posts
While we're at it, I could use some similar advice.

In winters past, I rode my Warbird with wide (unstudded) tires when the roads were clear, and the Masi CXGR with studs when conditions required it.
I too am using the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. I'm quite happy with their performance on winter surfaces. It's putting them on the wheels that drives me nuts.
With two different winter bikes, studded and unstudded, the studs went on at the beginning of the winter and stayed on until the end.

But now the Masi is a commuter, with heavy steel baskets bolted on the back, and not really suitable for sport/workout riding. So the best solution (because I'm an idiot and got ride of the OEM wheels that came with the Warbird) is to swap tires on the gravel bike.

Are there studded tires with somewhat more supple sidewalls, that aren't such a bear to mount?
I too could go wider. My gravel wheels are 25 mm ID and the Warbird has plenty of clearance for wider tires.

(The alternative is to take those steel baskets off, but they get used for shopping and stuff. I'd be loathe to go without them.)