Old 03-01-20, 03:43 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Hypnotoad,
How do you find the fat bike for longer riding like that?

I have done a little touring on mine Specialized Fatboy at about 35lb's, and plan a longer gravel oriented trip this summer but find my distance, relative to my road bike, to be far less. I can't tell if its the rolling resistance (4.6 ground controls) or the Q factor but I often feel more like my cadence is chop chop chop rather than smooth. I plan to switch to tubeless 4.0 JJ's this spring but was wondering what your take was as you do some longer rides on yours? I have flats with bar ends but could put dirt drops on if I thought that would matter.

I ride Fat B Nimble tires and find the light weight and tight tread really helps keep you moving 'faster'. For me, the Pug is faster on really rough surfaces since I don't need to be so careful. With my set up, I finish gravel races in the top 25% and with a typical gravel bike, I'm a little better than that, but not much.

I think you'll find tubeless JJs will make it a lot faster. Also play with pressure, this will vary based on your weight and gear weight, but I ride much heavier pressures for gravel (12-13 psi with 170 lbs rider)
Likes For Hypno Toad: