View Single Post
Old 08-03-14, 10:53 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Now that I'm over 50, I had a left TKR Nov of 2010. I do have a thread over in the Clydes section. The first revolution on the exercise bike was murderous. But they got easier. My therapist made me slow down frequently. I was off work for 5 weeks, and they worked with me coming back. By the fourth month I was carrying weights and loads I hadn't in years. I don't recall when I rode for the first time, but I was terrified of falling, I didn't wish to see the metal. At 7 months, I jumped off the back of an ATV, nearly three feet, to see how it felt. By this point my mileage was up on the real bike and exercise bike, and, I was running. I had to work through other injuries along the way, but not related to my knee.

Just over 9 months post op, I crashed on a fast downhill. Front tire went flat and I landed bad. Broke my neck and back and did other damage. Surgery the day after added 2 rods and ten screws to my back, and a plastic shell was my home for a while. I wore a neck brace a couple months after losing the shell. Funny thing... My fear of falling was so intense, that I kept asking if my knee was OK! Not even a scratch. Practically the only thing I didn't road rash.

Fears are rational. Fears are real. Fears can be strong. It took almost two years for me to get on a bike, and it was difficult to pick up my feet. But I did last year, even if it was only in a store... My knee is as strong as it ever was. My other knee is doing pretty good. My head, well, it wants to ride. Fear is holding me back. But I won't let it win. I will ride something before the end of this month.

Sorry to drive off the deep end. But my TKR was and still is, one of the best things I've ever done. I will not waste time in pain when the other one is ready. Who knows, someday, I might even run again...