View Single Post
Old 08-02-17, 08:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by DanPLC
Thanks for the input. But your Expert is a bit lighter than the Exploit since its carbon vs. steel. Wondering if the steel Exploit would also be faster (or at least as fast) as my Trek FX.

I don't know if Jamis is going to even update the Renegade line in 2018. But I guess we'll see!
The jamis has fantastic tubing, a great level drivetrain, good hydraulic brakes, and a whole lot more.

What it doesny have is the gearing range of your FX. The 2x11 has a narrower gear range. Much narrower.
If you never use yoyr granny ring on the FX triple crank, then no worry. If you use it, then you will miss that bailout gearing for sure.

I say this because its not just about speed, but also comfort and fun. If where younride you cant actually ride because the gearing doesnt suit you, then thats no fun.
Also, gearing has to do with speed. Being able to spin with easier gearing means your legs arent hurting as much and as fatigued. You have fresher legs for the rest of the ride.

All things equal, sure- a drop bar adventure bike will be as fast or faster than your FX. But all things arent equal. Just want to point this out for your consideration.