Old 06-03-18, 07:40 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lennskii
On the spectrum of gravel bikes on one hand being "Touring" (e.g. Kona Sutra) and "Racey" (e.g. Open Up) I found the Renegade sits nicely in the middle or a slight nudge to Racey.

Have slapped on a set of narrow (~19mm internal) road disc wheels with proper supple 28mm race tyres and latex inner tubes and it did super well on paved rides. You would only really notice a difference if you came from riding (and are replacing) a particularly aggressive road bike (e.g. Giant Propel or Trek Madone etc) where the chainstays are much shorter (for ducking in and out of pelotons) and are 2 degrees or more steeper in the head tube angle. Though you can tweak the Renegade with component choice is that's what you're after (lowering stem height, narrowed conventional drop bars vs. mildly flared that comes stock).

GCN did a pretty entertaining CX vs. Road on tarmac comparison (search Youtube for Road Vs Gravel Bike - Is A Gravel Bike Really Any Slower? GCN Does Science). They even did it a quick CX with slicks vs. Road slick tyres at the end. Although the CX bike in this test was noticeably heavier, it's probably more realistic in that many people who buy gravel bikes aren't super serious road racers looking for something more practical for day-to-day riding who often are coming off lighter racier bikes.
Thanks very much for the reply
I actually spoke to James at November who's going to make me a set of Boyd Altamont alloy rims with White hubs and run a 28 Conti iGP 4000 S II. Should be pretty quick I'm hoping