Old 12-21-18, 06:51 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If my records are correct, I didn't get started till May. The snow shut me down last year. This is what I learned. Also, this is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
Only use cycling ponchos when it's cooler. Warm rain isn't much of an issue. Be sure to have fenders.
A folding basket (Wald 582) is better for heavier groceries than a pannier. I use one releasable zip tie to hole it open or closed. The metal thing to hold it closed didn't work to well.
Be sure to use the right rack to keep pannier away from tire. MTB Tires chew holes in panniers.
Backpacks are OK in colder weather. I prefer sling backpacks
People think your crazy if you ride in winter (especially very icy) conditions. I did, they did.
Studded tires are awesome. One street looked like pure glass and I slipped less than the cars.
If you don't drive your vehicle, eventually someone will. Especially if it's a truck. They did, it is.
I actually resent the times I need to use my truck, but I'm grateful to have that option.
For me, it's not about only being car free. It's about riding my bike. The street's are not smooth enough to inline skate (Rollerblade) and for me, walking just isn't fun.