View Single Post
Old 09-18-14, 10:58 AM
alaskadude

Bikes: Surly OGRE, Surly LHT Deluxe w/S&S couplers,novara safari, raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good answers. I think I am on the right track. I have done lots and lots of camping, and know what gear I need. The heavy rubber bag has a double purpose: I can pack all my gear in it for airplane travel, or even if I take a bus for parts of the journey. Then while touring it carries the tent and sleeping bag. If I just use a huge plastic bag, I will still need something to carry it all in.
All my stuff is from second hand stores, and tools are off ebay, and so if I need to get rid of stuff, I can just give it away.
The people in Asia are quite small, and the clothing available does not fit me, and is also of very poor quality and falls apart in a few days. Therefore I must carry all my clothes that I will need for 6 months. The trip is 6 months, but I imagine Ill bike tour about 4, or 5.
There are no real bike shops--so I have to carry enough tools and spare parts to keep myself going.
Im not trying to set speed records, I was just concerned if the bike can handle the weight. (S&S couplers are stronger than the original frame. Im pretty impressed with them so far. strong!). Im concerned about wheel bearings and whatnot that might be stressed with all that weight.
I am also not too fanatical about riding the entire distance. If I come to a mountain range, Ill put the bike on the roof of the next passing bus, and ride over to where the pedaling is easy.
I traveled on the roof of the bus for the last 30 years. I have been to this part of Asia 23 winters (Escape the cold winters in Alaska)And so the journey wont be too much different, Ill just have a bike with me.
I looked at pics of other 'expedition' travelers, and my packs look about the same size. Also, at my age (56) I like a few creature comforts I would have lived without a few decades ago.
Like I said, Im not trying to set any speed records. My first goal is to travel like 20 or 30 miles a day. Ive been doing that commuting to work the last few summers, with about half the weight. I carry 25 pounds to work with me.
Anyway, I think the 50 pound packs will be OK, it just surprised me when I saw it all on the bike at the same time.
I have the same gear every list on the internet suggests. nothing out of the ordinary, and actually rather spartan. I considered not taking camping stuff-just stay in cheap hotels-but many of the bike tourists I talked to in Asia carry camping gear-- Even in civilized places like Thailand.