Old 09-19-14, 11:43 AM
alaskadude

Bikes: Surly OGRE, Surly LHT Deluxe w/S&S couplers,novara safari, raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
If you're planning to go multi-mode, then here's my suggestion.

Go for a 4 day tour. Cycle in various terrain each day. Hopefully you'll have various weather. In the middle of each days' ride, get off the bicycle, remove the panniers and everything, and carry it all ... walking ... for about 100 metres. Can you do that comfortably without making several trips?

Can you pick up your loaded bicycle and walk about 50 steps with it?

If you're just planning to ride, that part isn't particularly important ... but if you're planning to load it onto busses or something along the way, lighter is better.

Also, what about the airline? Have you looked into their weight limits? Airlines are really tightening up these days. A common total limit is about 30kg for everything ... checked luggage + carry-on.

And really ... if you're not taking camping gear, what on earth are you taking to make up 50 lbs? Rowan and I travelled around the world for 8 months, and with the airline weight limits, I'm pretty sure we weren't up to 50 lbs of gear (not including the bicycles) each ... and Rowan had camping and cooking gear with him.
You misunderstood. The 50 pounds includes camping gear.
I definatley understand your ideas on being able to pick it up and walk with it all. It is essential to be able to walk with all your gear in one trip. I think I have it like that--if not I will abandon some stuff. I actually dont think I have as much gear, or weight, than I was traveling with before the bike. I used to do a lot of photography, and so I am not taking all those big lenses and tripods.
But, yea, definatley make sure I can walk fairly long distances carrying all the gear at once or it will just degenerate into a nightmare and not much fun.