Old 01-18-17, 11:37 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Early Bird Crit yesterday. Smallish, 20 guys in an open 1-2-3 field. Two Echelon development team kids were there (Owen Gillot and Gavin Murray) and definitely the ones to watch. I had one teammate who covered the first attack by Owen (basically from the gun). Field chased and caught them after a few minutes and Gavin shot off the left side at minute 5. I waited until he had a decent ~10 second gap, solo, then jumped across. I brought one Jakroo racing kid on my wheel so we were three. Jakroo kid gave up after about 5 minutes when a moto told us we had 20 seconds. Once we were two I told Gavin I was happy to work with two and we quickly stretched it to about 40 seconds. We quit getting time gaps but after ~10 minutes, so maybe 43 minutes left, we couldn't see the field anymore and settled in.

Good workout and he was kind enough to only beat me by a bike in a straight-up 150m drag race. Pretty happy. Was comfortable the entire time. Only regret was not going for it to lap the field. I think we could have done it once the gap started going up had we stayed on the pressure instead of settling in for the long (slower) move.

Nice job.

Wish I'd been there... I could've lost to Gavin by a wheel or so, or maybe even been dropped from that break!

Never seen the field lapped at the EB crits, maybe since the course is so long - but I wanna be in that break when it happens.

Hoping the weather clears up for this Sunday.

my race videos