autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
And we need these things ... WHY? ��

What about the "no motorized vehicle rule" on bike paths?
Right. Depends on the enforcement. This one time myself and a colleague were driving a robotic vehicle, basically a suit-case-sized, manually remote-controlled toy (so not autonomous), on a local shared city path, doing some testing. We were asked to move to an adjacent State-owned path. "They probably don't allow motorized vehicles either, but if anyone complains at least it'll take them longer to respond". A nice case of "not my jurisdiction - not my problem". Suffices to say, we never had anyone tell us anything when we were on that State path.

Originally Posted by Troul
Crack the algorithm then take control via app with a bridge hub to redirect them into a large water hole.
The timeless video equivalent of your post:

And it never really got better

But, from looking at the 'pixels' and having seen a few 'robots' in my time, all I can think of is:

Honestly though, if they're predictable, somewhat slow moving, not too large, and there aren't whole armies of them to impede the traffic, I have no problem sharing the path with them. If they manage to follow their planned route very closely (RTK GPS augmented by LIDAR maps?), they'd likely behave better than 80% of the MUP users. If they oscillate all over the road, then I'd be pissed.