Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
I just saw that, and sent a note to Josh about it. He should have an altitude field in the air density section.

Calculators like this are handy for steady-state approximation if given CdA, Crr, rho, mu, slope, etc. I think I did a calculator like that back for my old bike club back in the last millenium, based on the equations in Whitt&Wilson.

The issue here is the inverse problem: given average speed (but not power, wind, air density, slope, etc.) can you derive what CdA and Crr were? Or, even more dauntingly, can you estimate *the difference in Crr between two tires* given average speed but not power, wind, air density, etc. That's a lot harder. That's sort of like asking, can you estimate the difference in black and white mortality from COVID-19 from two different measurements of population average death rates? (This turns out to be related to a real problem I'm working on right now, which is why it's on my mind).
Aww.. and here I thought I was special receiving a beta preview
Yeah, that would be perhaps more interesting.. have all of the variables, including power be able to be entered in, except for just one data field (user choice), and the calculator could figure out the missing value. Eg. you could tell the temperature outside by filling everything else in.