Old 03-01-21, 03:35 PM
LisaG71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by ricrunner
As a cyclotourist, that does bring his dog along all the time, in a cheap EBAY trailer( in a new one now), It is very doable. My boy Milo, is an Assistance dog as well. I do carry a lot of weight because of him, but would not have it any other way. The one main, thing that you cannot scrimp on is water. Dog's drink a lot of water, more then you would think. You notice it more when touring with them. So my trips I always have a min. of 20ltres on board, if it is a warm day, and more if it is hot. The most I carry in hot weather is 35 ltres. In cooler weather you can get away a smaller amount though. Another thing, is to think about, stopping every hour, so they can stretch their legs, and pee. They will hold but why make it unenjoyable for them.. You have the right Idea, in what to bring, as you have to make it comfortable for them. I also buy them the best food. It is not cheap, but I get the dog food satches- Royal Canin. Not sure if you can get it or similar in the US, but it is an alround food, that is easier and lighter to carry. I don't let my boy run beside me, as i am worried he would get run over, as well as he is scent driven, he took off once for a roo, and it took me a fair while to get him back. Even though he is trained against to do that , the roo, jumped out a foot in front of him, it, scared him a bit, then he took off after it, across the road against traffic, so I don't run him at all now.. Just get him a comfortable enclosed( with screening) trailer, then you wont need to have an umbrella, it will be much safer for him, due to traffic and other dog's animals . You still have to have a harness and an small lead linked to the trailer inside. It is just an added protection. I use the top of his trailer for a ten watt solar panel, with a small agm battery inside the trailer, to charge all my batteries. I have been doing it for 5 years, and would not tour without him ever. It would not be enjoyable.. Anymore questions just ask.
​​​​Thanks!
For the info ... Message me anytime.
What I plan to do is let him run beside me on a tether and if it's not safe or inclimate weather have him ride in the trailer. If I want to ride 40 miles , I'm not going to make him run all 40 miles.

Last edited by LisaG71; 03-01-21 at 03:47 PM.