Old 07-29-20, 03:41 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Is the Rd total chain wrap capacity 41t? You could exceed it as long as you make the chain long enough to get to big-big, and allow the small-small to drag. This means you won't be using the outermost small-small combinations. You can calculate how many gears will drag by comparing the chain wrap capacity to the real wrap. It's ok not to use the outmost combinations since they overlap with some of the big-big.

I have 12-34t 10 speed cassette with 24/44t chainrings. It gives me 519% range with 14-72.6 gear inches on 406x2.1 tires. I mixed my cassette to get 12,13,14,15,17,19,21,24,28,34. This gives me preferred closer stepping at the top and much wider at the bottom. The 20t jump at the front is fine as long as I use a chain catcher. SRAM yaw FD comes with one. The yaw design also makes it so that trim is not necessary but you may need to widen the cage, I had a thread explaining how to do this.
One problem with 20t jump is the chain rub on the outer most 3 gears of small-small against the big chainring but it doesn't matter because I don't use them anyway since the pulley drags due to exceeding the chain wrap capacity of the Rd. I'm using a 4700 GS which has a wrap capacity of 41t. My real wrap is 42t. But my chain length was for 46t chainring instead of the 44t that I have now. So I'm 3t over capacity which means on paper the pulley will drag on the 3 outermost cogs on small-small but it's actually only 2.

I also found the yaw FD to be a couple millimeters closer to the seat tube on my dahon frame then the Shimano 4700 FD which helped a little with chain clearance.