Old 01-14-21, 07:54 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Do you actually ride a bike? I ask because first you mention $2 tubes, now this nonsense about the patches making for a funky ride, nether Rema or Park glueless patches you cannot feel while riding if on a tube. I've ridden on both for many years, even back in the day when 20c tires were all the rage with 120 psi in the tires, and I used Rema patches. Now maybe if you are riding on superthin track tires you might feel them, but even when I was using silk tubulars for racing I never felt the patches. The Park patches are actually thinner than the Rema patches, so I doubt you could feel the Parks in a track tire, not sure about the Rema on a track tire, but I doubt it.

Personally, I think those $2 tubes are giving you a funky ride!
funny. I honestly don’t think we’re that far apart.

I have to admit that it’s been years since i’ve ridden a patched tube very far. I quit riding patched tubes long, long ago. i was riding tubs when i realized how funky a patched tube felt and i did some time track time.

i have in fact found tubes for $2 something recently enough that i quit worrying about the cost of a tube. A co2 inflator usually costs me more than a cheap, spare tube. Does that give me the best possible ride? Absolutely not, but it’s how i roll.

When i mount new tires, i put on new, light weight tubes or reuse the old ones (If it’s a cheapo, back in the kit). After the first flat, i run the cheapo tube until i replace the tire.

I don’t flat often and i prefer cheap, new tubes in my kit. First, they might sit there for a long time. Second, they often end up on someone else’s wheel: stranger need help or friend too. I prefer giving away cheap, new tubes.