Old 01-15-21, 01:38 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
There is no such thing as a $2 lightweight tube unless you think 120 plus grams is lightweight. Yes, I know that Walmart and Amazon sells the Bell brand of tubes for $2, but they weigh 160 grams! My tubes weigh 75 grams but they cost $11 each though I get mine on sale for 4 for $33. Why do the Bell weigh 160 grams? obviously, they're thicker, but their wall thickness is not consistent like more expensive tubes thus they had to make the wall thicker to make up for thin spots.

We all know that having a lighter wheel makes the rolling resentence less, in fact going with lighter tires and tubes is the cheapest way to get that, so if you want that for your bike then go lighter, if none of that matters other than buying cheap tubes and cheap tires then do the cheap tires and tubes thing. Don't let a bunch of cycling morons discredit your opinion if that's how you want to run.
agreed. I don’t think i ever said $2 tubes are lightweight. If so, my bad. I also mostly agree with you about rolling resistance/rotational inertia. I’m simply saying that i carry new, cheap tubes in my kits, not patched or otherwise lighter, more expensive tubes. I did the same in my road/track racing days: high quality tubs on my wheels, cheaper/heavier tubs under the saddle for limping home.