Old 02-18-21, 12:08 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by obuckler
You mentioned reading the tubular thread. If you do you will see all the various methods. It just becomes a personal choice.

My choices changed over time. Started with Tufos and Tufo tape for a low cost entry point. Easy to use but found it very very hard to change a tire and would never attempt it on the road. Quit using tape and relegated my Tufos to spares since I did not like their ride.

I now use Veloflex and Vittoria. Not the most expensive tires but still up there. I decided if I am going to do this I wanted to enjoy the ride.

And I learned to fix a flat the traditional way. Not a big deal especially if you have sail stitching experience.

If I flat now I just swap in a spare to get home. Later I glue on a good tire. I did try Vittoria Pit Stop till I almost got stranded. I’ve only flatted three times. I have more peace of mind changing out a tire and not worrying if the sealant will hold. It’s easier than fixing a clincher flat.
Thanks for your detailed feedback!

Yes, I took a quick peek at the Totally Tubular thread and it's 60 pages long and counting! Found out I posted back in 2019 looking for some answers, too - I noted that I've always had others do the gluing/taping then and it's high time for me to get on with it myself.

I must admit to wondering about the ride of different tires. My go-to choice bitd were Vittoria Squadra Prof in 22mm and I remember the rear end chattering around corners vice being planted - something I'm not sure my aging reflexes will still be able to deal with. While I run pretty high pressures with my open tubular Vittorias (120psi), the rear wheel is always stuck to the road. Very confidence-inspiring. While I liked the lack of rolling resistance, the road feedback was kinda...harsh. This was in the mid-to-late 90s; from what I read, plenty of improvements have been made to the modern, high-end stuff. Personal choice, indeed; what specifically did you not like about the way the Tufos ride?

DD