Thread: Keeper?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-21, 01:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Thanks for giving me some more points to consider. Size-wise, It looks like I won't be able to fit anything larger than a 28 - anything bigger is likely to foul both brake pivots. Interesting that the YJ article shows to stretch the tire while mounting; I assume everyone is pre-stretching them nowadays because if I were to go with glue I'm positive I wouldn't have to stretch any of my current tires while mounting them.

What I remember liking best when I helped Wildwood mount a pair was that once we had the tire on and semi-inflated we could mess around and spend plenty of time getting it perfectly centered on the rim without worry that the cement would set before we did. Once to his liking, we just pulled the clear-red covering and the tire was set. The older I get, the more I like Easy Street

Lastly, I am on the lookout for Challenge Elites in 25mm - those would make me very happy. Should've bought them months ago when I saw them for $45 per on Ebay. I used their Elite clinchers and they were fantastic at 260tpi. Wouldn't be surprised if their tubular version is even better.

DD

CHALLENGE ELITE PRO 220 TPI TUBULAR ROAD TIRE

$32.99
  • Use: Road Training
  • Tire Width: 25 mm
  • Internal Rim Width: 13-15 mm
  • Weight: 295 gr
  • TPI: 220
  • Casing: Poly
  • Flat protection: PPS
  • BAR: 7-12
  • PSI: 100-175