Old 04-14-11, 02:06 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
If the weight wasn't the issue why not take a DSLR in the handlebar bag. I did that on the TA and found that It was accessible enough that I even used it while riding at times.

The weight is the reason I stopped doing that, but the DSLR and an extra lens was very convenient in the handlebar bag.
The 40D with a lens is quite big. It might be too big and too heavy for the handlebar bag, but I haven't actually tried with my new Ortlieb bag. Although, there may not be much room left for other things I'd like to have handy.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Like the body, the lenses are similarly lighter and smaller. There are nice "do all" range zooms and various primes all of which are much lighter than their full sized DSLR counterparts.
I have to use what I have, can't afford buying a new, smaller DSLR. I wish, I could.

Originally Posted by cbike
I find that my DSLR can operate quite a long time on one set of batteries. Maybe it's just that I don't shoot enough photos. I would just get one spare battery and take the charger along. From what I hear it's not worth struggling with solar chargers.
True. With 3 batteries I can probably shoot around 1000 images, including viewing and deleting images. That's more than enough for a two week trip IMHO. Then yeah, it might become a problem for longer trips if you're a trigger happy type

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
FYI. This is part of what camping means to me. ( And on that note, expect more questions from me about camping by bike. ) I would find it frustrating to bring a camera, but be unable to shoot this kind of stuff
OK, so I'll need a tripod too? Why not! What the heck? I'll be riding a Big Dummy, who cares about extra 10 lbs Nice shots, BTW!

On my last tours my load was about 60lbs, if not more, including the camera and I didn't care much, but the bike did