View Single Post
Old 05-30-19, 01:16 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanAK
I've heard different opinions on the Polyvalent... some think it's a boat anchor, others seem to like it's light low-trail handling.
Yes - one man's 'boat anchor' can be another's 'spirited and lively' ride. I am skeptical about the concept of the average steel bike 'planing' per Jan Heine's observations. Sure, riding one of his Rene Herse racing classics made with paper-thin steel tubes a rider might actually notice this planing concept in action.

But, for the frame/forks that you are considering I think that geometry/fit and tire choice is going to make a much more noticeable difference to you than the actual weight of the frame/fork/bike or the specific tubing used.

Concerning tires, if you want some float I can suggest Mr. Heine's (Rene Herse/Compass) tires. I have the standard casing Rat Trap Pass tires on a bike and they provide a nice, smooth ride. Although, at 55 mm width and 25 psi how could they not?!