View Single Post
Old 05-12-19, 09:33 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Originally Posted by delbiker1
My riding and my bikes have definitely evolved over the years. My bikes have either a more relaxed geometry or the cockpit is set up to be more upright and forgiving. A big change in the drive train is having less tooth count in the chain rings, or at least the big ring. I have one bike with 48/34 compact and my commuter/errands bike with 46/34. I have a titanium Airborne Zeppelin roadie that still has 53 T big, but matched it with a 39 T instead of 42 T T. My old steel Ochsner, which I am just about finished re-building, is going to be changed to 50/38. That set up I am going to try, and if I like it, I will keep it. I still like to ride at a quick pace, but not all the time. The changes have been made to put less stress on my lower back, neck shoulders and knees. I have not done much to the cassettes other than having a few that I can switch according to where I will be riding and the conditions. I also use wider tires, especially on my Schwinn SS DBX, up to 37 mm.,and the Orbea Avant MD 40, up to 32s. My ti and steel road bikes can only fit up to 25 mm tires and I wish I could go up to 28 mm. I also stop more often just to stretch, get a snack, take a picture or whatever reason.
How many miles do you have on the Airborne Zeppelin ?
My Airborne Zeppelin developed a crack on frame at down tube bottom bracket after about 70-80K miles.
That was several years ago and still sits stripped to bare frame waiting to be sent to the recyclers.