Old 05-13-19, 05:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I ride differently now,
Originally Posted by baldilocks
Winter cycling has changed the way I ride…Has your riding evolved? How and why.
Following @Machka 's biographical approach, on a longer term assessment over the course of my adult cycling lifestyle starting around 1971, I posted in my introduction to Bike Forums in 2008, with addenda:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture.

In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula…

After the birth of our son in 1988, I have pretty much been a year–round commuter only, but in the past few years I have done a century or two a year and I follow a ten week training program for centuries published long ago in Bicycling Magazine.

I have a really great commute that belies, IMO, the image of Boston as a city unfriendly to bicycling…

Addendum: Since joining Bike Forums, I have also ridden on the Second Annual Fifty Plus Ride at Watkins Glen in the Finger Lakes Region in 2010 in conjunction with the (NY) Southern Tier Bicycle Club; and with the Third Annual Ride in Chelsea MI in 2011, called "One Helluva Ride," sponsored by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society.

Also since subscribing, I have adapted to riding my Cannondale Mountain Bike in rain and winter precipitation, including on icy roads, thanks to advice from the Forums.

Second Addendum: On June 1, 2012 I was hit from behind by a car while commuting home on a Friday evening. I was off work for three months, and off the bike for five. See this post, “One of our own was hit Friday Night,” with my first reply a few weeks later:

The Bridgestone was totaled in the accident, and in April of 2013, I bought a Specialized S-Works.

Third Addendum:
On 7/28/13, I was the "host" for a Fifth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride held in the Metropolitan Boston area.

Fourth Addendum:
On 7/26/14, we did the Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride again in Boston.

Fifth Addendum:
We did the Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Rides in Chelsea, MI on 7/11/15, and in Raystown, PA on 10/10/15.

Sixth Addendum:
In August this year of 2016, I bought an aluminum Specialized Diverge to use as a new. lighter beater bike, and reserve the heavy duty Cannondale MB for Winter riding, with studded tires.

For the past three weeks though, I have had plantar fasciitis, and it's too painful to just stretch my left foot to mount any bike, so I've ridden it just two blocks….

See also this summary:
...I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride...

I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:...

• the motivation and tips to ride in rain, and wintry roads, i.e. studded tires
  • the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the safety tip to watch the front wheels of a car rather than the body or hood to anticipate what the driver is going to do
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise...
:
2016 was actually a good year, because I engaged in a fitness challenge.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You must WIN, Jim. Do whatever it takes ... must win...
Thanks for your encouragement, @Phil_gretz. The Challenge ended on June 4, and I came in third place of about 40 participants, and our team came in first, by a hair-breadth…

Those standings were released every week, and the competition was very motivating with very beneficial effects. Now that it’s over I am trying to ride at least about 150 miles per week through the summer; 147 miles last week.
2017 was also a good year
...… My riding (commuting) is somewhat stymied by work, but this summer I did make the acquaintance of a well-matched weekend cycling companion.
Last year though
...This year however has been a bust because this winter I developed a weakness in my neck muscles supporting my head upright (perhaps due to a two month unavoidable layoff) on my previously well-fitted bikes.

I had a subsequent fitting on both, with some handlebar adjustments. I recently got an exercise consultation for neck, shoulder and core muscles, and was given an exercise routine, that takes a big chunk of 50 minutes to perform. Exercise may fix it, but that’s a long-term solution.

All these remedies have barely allow me to ride my minimum 14 mile one-way commute with slight discomfort near the end. By this time of the year I'm doing weekly 50-60 mile rides easily, and even training for a Century.

Just yesterday, I rented a hybrid style bike with flat handlebars, and was comfortable on the commute...[and subsequently bought one]
2019 is a rebuilding year, and as noted above commuting is my primary cycling opportunity, though
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week.

During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-13-19 at 06:34 AM.