Thread: Diabetics?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-15, 11:23 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Hi,

I have to ditto what others have said about you being headed in the right direction. You have also made tremendous progress in a short time.

Eight years ago, at 63, I was diagnosed as type 2. Although my A1C reading was acceptable at 7.2, my fasting glucose reading was 199. At the time my other readings; blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. were good. Like you, I have always been active, but had slowed down a bet and gained a few pounds. The doctor prescribed a med (don't remember the name) and make some suggestions on diet and exercise. In addition to dietary changes, I started commuting by bike. It was only four miles each way, but seemed to help, at least mentally. Over the next year, I lost 25 pounds, reduced the diabetic meds and slightly reduced my blood pressure.

I do like get in at least one-half hour a day of hard riding in, but don't have an established exercise routine. My secret is to just keep moving. In addition to the bike riding, I do my own yard work, home improvement projects, keep the car and RV clean and shiny, build and fly kites. With this program my A1C stays below 6.9, morning glucose readings are normally 100 - 120 and blood pressure is 110/70.

Congrats and I hope you find my experience beneficial.

Regards,

Van